Dates tamarind honey dip/Spread
Tamarind dates spread is tangy and sweet, which is can be used in chaats, samosas etc., A chaat is incomplete without this spread to spruce it up. This chutney is healthy considering the ingredients and I replaced jaggary with honey. Though it is available in the supermarket in bottled form but homemade is economical and healthy without any added preservatives.
Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 10mins
- Seedless tamarind-1/2cup
- Deseeded and chopped dates-1/2cup
- Cumin powder-1/2tsp
- Dry ginger powder-1/2tsp
- Black salt/rock salt- 1/2tsp
- Soak tamarind and dates in 1cup water for 2-3hours.
- Add the soaked dates and tamarind in the blender/food processor and blend it to smooth paste.
- Now transfer the ground paste to the non-stick pan and cook on medium high flame for 3-4minutes.
- Add dry spices, cumin powder, black salt, dry ginger powder and simmer for 4-5minutes more.
- Turn off the flame ( strain through the strainer to remove the pulp )
- Add honey (More quantity can be added if you love more sweet in your dip)
- Allow it to cool down
Store in the airtight container in the refrigerator and use it when required.
- Spices can be personalised.
- If you prefer more sweet go ahead and add extra honey .
- Consistency can be altered by adding extra water while cooking.
- Link for baked healthy chaats
Posted on July 27, 2014, in Dips, Indian and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, Dates Tamarind dip, drchdietfood, prakruthi honey, prakruthi honey bangalore, sweet tangy dip for chaats. Bookmark the permalink. 27 Comments.