Chickpeas and spinach soup
Chickpea/garbanzo beans, spinach is a delicious, nutritious, protein rich soup made for a nice addition to our weekly dinner menu. Here chickpeas, spinach are cooked in tomatoes, with a ting of apple sauce flavoured by garlic and spiced by paparika.
Spinach and bean soup can be low in calories and fat content. Soup made with water or vegetable-based broth will contain the fewest calories. Soup made with low-fat or non-fat milk will supply more calories, but still fewer than cream-based soups.
Serves: 4-5 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Cooked chickpeas-1cup
- Chopped spinach-3handsful
- Diced red peppers-1num
- Diced onions-1num
- Minced garlic-3num
- Diced tomatoes-1cup (about 2-3num)
- tomato puree-2-3tbsp
- apple puree- from 1 fresh apple
- ground black pepper, sea salt- as per taste
- olive oil-1tbsp
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, add onion and saute for 3-4minutes/until soft and slightly golden.
- Add garlic, bell peppers/capsicum and saute for 2-3minutes more or until garlic is lightly browned.
- Add paprika, salt, tomato puree, apple puree, and saute for 2-3minutes on medium flame.
- Then add spinach, chickpeas and simmer for 8-10minutes.
- Season with ground pepper and serve hot.
- Cooking chickpeas-rinse and soak chickpeas for 6-7hours, then drain and cook in a pressure cooker for 4-5whistles. Or if using canned drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Chilli powder can be used alternatively to paprika.
- Apple is used to get sweet taste and to get creamy texture