Baked Potato Jamun in dates syrup
Gulab Jamun is among India’s most popular desserts! This delicious dessert consists of dumplings traditionally made of thickened or reduced milk, soaked in rose flavoured sugar syrup.
Here in this recipe I used potato in place of milk solids and opted to bake. Baking does not colour evenly unlike fried but cooked inside; baked versions are low in calorie and requires very less oil or butter to cook them. So for those who cannot indulge deep fried goodies here is a baked version just to fulfil their sweet cravings.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 25-30 minutes
- Boiled and mashed potatoes-2medium
- Plain flour-1-2tbsp
- Corn starch-1tsp
- Baking soda-a pinch
- Butter-for baking
- For dates and maple syrup:
- Dates molasses-1/4cup
- Rose essence- 1tsp
- Maple syrup – 3 tbsp
- Combine boiled and mashed potato, baking soda, plain flour, corn starch mix well to form a smooth dough without adding any water. Cover with kitchen towel and leave it on the counter for 10minutes
- Pre-heat the oven at 160 deg C. Line the baking tray with baking sheet and set aside.
- Now grease your palm with butter/oil and make small lemon sized balls of the dough.
- Arrange on the prepared baking tray and bake for 25-30minute
- Combine dates molasses, water in a saucepan and heat on a medium low flame till the molasses dissolves and thickens slightly (approx. 5-7minutes)
- Then add maple syrup if required (as per the taste) and rose essence mix well.
- Turn off the flame and set aside.
- Drop the baked jamuns in the dates syrup and let it soak for 2-3hours and then transfer to the serving bowl and top some nuts and serve.
If you are looking for an alternative Baked Jamun in Honey saffron recipe click here
- The baking time may vary from oven to oven.
- The potato ball may not turn golden colour evenly on baking but it will be cooked inside.
- Soaking for long helps for even absorption of syrup and sweetness.
- Alternatively sugar syrup can also be used instead of dates-maple syrup
- Few dates molasses may be more concentrated and bit salty. So check for the taste and then increase the quantity of maple syrup as required by reducing molasses quantity
- Maple syrup is used since dates syrup is more concentrated and it helps to reduce dates concentration.
Enjoy this guilt free sweet for Deepavali/Diwali