Hariyali/Green Bhaji for Pav
Pav bhaji, is a very popular indian street food. Pav bhaji literally means bread and vegetables. The vegetables are cooked and mashed then spiced with a pav bhaji masala and generally topped with generous quantities of butter and served with pav/bun.
Here in this recipe I used all green veggies – Spinach, Peas, French beans, Green peppers. Use them along with potatoes and not just potatoes as the main part of the mash, so you get a mix of seasonal vegetables. I like to use a spinach as well for a brilliant green colour. The freshly prepared chili garlic paste adds a ton of flavour and contributes to the flavour of the bhaji . Serve it with multigrain rolls or bread and you’ve cut out most of the refined flour as well.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-35-40 minutes
- Spinach leaves- 1 bunch
- Green capsicum/bell pepper- 2 medium
- Chopped green beans-1/2cup
- Green peas-1/4cup
- Grated Broccoli- 1/2cup
- Potato- 2 medium
- Puree from 2 tomatoes
- Finely chopped onion-1medium
- Ginger- garlic paste- 1tbsp
- Minced green chillies-2
- Pav bhaji masala-2tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Chopped coriander/cilantro- a handful
- Brown pav/buns- 8
- Sunflower spread/butter
- Finely chopped onion
- Chopped coriander
- Blanch spinach in hot water for 4-5 minutes, drain and blend it to smooth puree and set aside.
- Boil potatoes- peel, mash them and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add onion, ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute or two
- Add green chilli paste, mix and saute for few seconds.
- Add green beans, green capsicum, broccol and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add pureed tomatoes, mashed potatoes, frozen peas mix well and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add ground spinach puree mix well and add pav bhaji masala, salt mix well cover and cook for 8-10 minutes- mash then with the masher and add water if required and cook until vegetables are mushy and blends well.
- Once the bhaji is bubbles switch off the flame, stir in some fresh coriander/cilantro.
- Slice the pavs into two halves. Heat the griddle/tawa and roast the buns with some spread.
- Drizzle some lemon juice, fresh coriander on bhaji, serve hot with roasted pav/bun and onions.
- Combination of vegetables can be personalised as per the taste.