Chilli Paneer/Cottage Cheese
For many Vegetarians in India, delicacy starts and ends with Paneer. Paneer goes really well in Indian cooking, be it the butter masalas and Kadhai paneers of the world or the ubiquitous paneer tikka.
This is quickish stir fry makes an easy one bowl dinner with wraps OR rice. It also becomes a good backyard cookout appetizer.
Yields: 2-3 servings
Preparation time-15 minutes
Waiting time-10 minutes (for Marination)
Cooking time-20-25 minutes
- Fresh Paneer (cottage cheese)-250gms (cubed)
- Diced red peppers/capsicum-1/2
- Diced green peppers/capsicum-1/2
- Diced yellow peppers/capsicum-1/2
- Diced red onion-1
- Corn flour/corn starch-1tbsp
- Palin flour-1tbsp
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Natural yogurt-1-2tbsp
- Salt- a generous pinch
- Oil-for toasting paneer
For kadai masala:
- Chopped garlic-3 cloves
- Chopped ginger-1/2inch
- Green chillies-2-3 (slit)
- Ground white pepper-1/4tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Tomato-1 medium
- Red chillies-3 (as per spice preferred)
- Ground cumin-1tsp
- First cut the paneer into small cubes/ any desired shape.
- In a bowl add mix corn flour, plain flour, chilli powder, yogurt, salt and mix well to form a paste (add some water if desired)
- Now add cubed paneer to the paste and toss well until coated and let it sit for 5-10 minutes
- After marination time heat a pan/skillet and toast the coated paneer till golden ( you can do in batches)
For the sauce:
- Place tomato, chillies, cumin powder in a blender/food processor and blend to smooth sauce.
For chilli paneer:
- Heat oil in a pan/wok and add ginger, garlic, green chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Add the ground tomato sauce and saute for few seconds.
- Add diced red, green, yellow peppers (or capsicum), onions and fry on high flame for 4-5 minutes or until tender but crunchy.
- Now add sauted paneer cubes and toss well until coated with the sauce.
- Season with salt, ground pepper powder and simmer for a minute or two.
- Once veggies are coated well in sauce, turn off the flame.
You can serve this as starter on its own
It can be served as side dish with Onion Lacha Paratha
- Paneer can be deep fried alternatively for more crispy texture.
- Spices can per personalised as per the taste