Tofu bhindi/okra Kadai – Vegan
Easy Stir Fry with tofu and bhindi/oakra; love this type of dish for a quick easy dinner. This curry is full of tasty including bhindi and bell peppers that meld beautifully with aromatic spices and flavorful tofu. No need for special tofu though, this dish will be just as spectacular with plain tofu!
- Okra is a “power house of valuable nutrients” according to the university of illinios extension program. It contains no fat or cholesterol, rich amount of soluble fiber , which promotes healthy cholesterol levels and insoluble fibers. It is also high in folic acid and vitamin A which promotes healthy tissues and eyes.
- Tofu is a soft, cheese-like food derived from soybeans. It is also known as soya curd. It is rich in protein enables the body to develop healthy muscles, rich in calcium for healthy bones and calcium
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Chopped Okra/bhindi – 400 gms
- Chopped onion- 2num
- Chopped tomatoes- 3 medium
- Ginger-garlic paste-1tbsp
- Slit Green chillies-2num
- Red chilli powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Garam masala-1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Crushed Kasoori methi-1tsp
- Chopped Coriander leaves- a handful
- Oil-2tsp+for toasting tofu,okra
- Drain water from tofu pat it dry with paper towel or wrap it in between a paper towel and place some weight on it to squeeze out excess water.
- Once it dry cube the tofu and heat a pan with few drops of oil and roast the tofu until slightly golden both sides.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside
- Wash okra, dry it on the kitchen towel, trim the edges and chop into 1”piece/ as desired.
- Heat oil in the pan and saute okra for until the stickiness is reduced and slightly soft (you can even deep fry them to retain the crunchiness but adds up few calories to your dish)
- Transfer it to a plate and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds , ginger garlic paste, onion, slit green chillies and saute until the onions are translucent .
- Add chopped tomatoes with little salt mix well till it becomes soft and mushy.
- Now add turmeric, red chilli-coriander powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Once the masalas are well blend with tomatoes add capsicum and fry in a medium flame for 3-4minutes.
- Then add Sauted Okra, Tofu, Kasoori methi and adjust the spices as per your taste preference. Keep covered and cook for 2-3mins until its well blend.
- Turn off the flame and garnish with coriander,
Serve hot with
- You can use paneer instead of tofu.
- Can even add extra water and bring it to gravy consistency if required
Posted on August 6, 2015, in Indian, Side dish, Vegan and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Kadai panner replacement, tofu recipes, Tofu sidedishes, Vegan recipes, Vegan sidedishes. Bookmark the permalink. 53 Comments.