Instant Idli – Oats and Cucumber
This is similar to rava idli just to make it more fiber rich used oats. This is instant, healthy breakfast recipe. And used cucumber as it is a wonderful vegetable. These little cuties are delicious and they make an amazing snack/breakfast on the run or as a part of packed lunch. They are rich, wholesome and filling as well they have everything you need from a breakfast/snack.
Cucumber has a light to dark green thin skin, moisture rich flesh and as tiny edible seeds in it. It has slightly sweet flavour and is mainly eaten raw in salad or sandwiches or in the form of juice. Calories in cucumber are very low and it contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
Makes: 12-14 idlis
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
• Powdered Oats -1cup
• Rava (extra coarse semolina) – 3/4cup
• Water-1/2cup or as required for batter
• Grated cucumber-1/2cup
• Finely chopped Green chilli-3-4num
• Chopped curry leaves-1tbsp
• Grated Ginger-1/2inch
• Finely chopped coriander-1/2cup
• Channa dal (Split peas) -1tbsp
• Urad dal-1tsp
• Mustard seeds-1tsp
• Cumin seeds-1/2tsp
• Fruit salt/ baking soda-1/2tsp
• Salt-to taste
• Finely chopped dry coconut-1tbsp
• Oil-2tsp + for brushing the idli plate
• Sliced tomatos/ grated carrot
• In a pan dry roast cashews for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
• In the same pan slightly dry roast oats for 3-4 minutes on a low flame and as it cools down and grind it to powder in the mixer.
• Then heat oil in the pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds as it splutters; Add Channa dal, Urad dal, dry coconut and fry until golden.
• Now add grated ginger, chopped chilli, curry leaves and saute for few minutes add rava and fry until slightly it turns to golden colour or until you get nice aroma, switch off the flame
• Then add powdered oats and mix well. let the mixture cool down a bit.
• As it cools down add yogurt/curd, grated cucumber, salt, and mix, add just enough water to make a thick batter
• Add fruit salt to the batter and pour 2tsp water over it. When the bubbles form mix gently
• Add chopped coriander and mix well
• Grease the idli plates place grated carrot/sliced tomatoes and pour a ladle full of batter in each greased depression of idli plates
• Steam for 10-13 minutes
• Cool slightly, demould and place roasted cashews/ coriander and serve immediately
• Add any vegetables of your choice-carrot, capsicum, cabbage, onion
• You can even use baking soda instead of fruit salt
Posted on November 1, 2015, in Breakfast, Indian, Main dish and tagged cucumber, drchdietfood, Healthy Breakfast ideas, Healthy Rava Idli, Idli variety, indian healthy breakfast or snacks recipes, indianrecipe, Instant breakfast, Instant idli, instant oats indian recipes, Museli, oats indian recipes, South indian healthy breakfast. Bookmark the permalink. 29 Comments.