Spiced Brown rice puffs
This snack is made from Brown puffed rice, which is rich in fibre. This is processed from brown rice and retains all nutrient properties. They are widely used to make breakfast cereals.
This can be served as breakfast or as an evening snack. The puffed rice with tossed with Cherry tomatoes and bell peppers to add the crunchiness. Squeeze some lemon on it to enjoy the tangy snack.
Cooking time: 15mins
Preparation time: 15mins
- Beown Puffed rice-250gms
- Chopped onion-1num
- Cherry tomatoes-20num
- Chopped capsicum-1num
- Chopped Green chillies-4-5num
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- Urad dal-1tsp
- Roasted peanuts-2tbsp
- Roasted chickpea-2tbsp
- Sesame seeds-2tsp
- Grated dry coconut/desiccated coconut-2tbsp
- Coriander- 2tbsp chopped fresh leaves
- Lemon juice-2tsp
- In a big pot soak the puffed rice in enough water for 5minutes. After 5minutes drain all the water and squeeze out excess water from the puffed rice.
- In a mixer/ blender grind roasted chickpea, sesame seeds, dry coconut to fine powder and set aside.
- Heat oil in the pan add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, green chillies, onion and sauté for few minutes.
- Add chopped capsicum, cherry tomatoes, salt, turmeric and saute until capsicum and tomatoes are tender but not mushy (approx. 5-7mins)
- Then add puffed rice, roasted peanuts and mix well.
- Sprinkle lemon juice, roasted chickpea, sesame, coconut ground powder and thoroughly.
- Turn off the flame and let it stand for 4-5mins.
- Garnish with coriander
- Just as a variation used cherry tomatoes you can use regular tomatoes as well.
- Few Cheery tomatoes would be tangier so lemon juice can be used accordingly