Tomato mint rice stuffed and baked in capsicum
Tomato mint flavoured rice with spices and stuffed in peppers. Peppers/capsicum tastes great either raw or cooked and spiced up the rice with paprika and Indian spices. The yogurt/sour cream is a perfect garnish which gives chill out with its cool and fresh taste.
Preparation time: 10 minutes (excluding the cooking time of rice)
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30-35 minutes
For tomato rice:
- Cooked rice- 2cups (I used red rice-any kind of rice can be used)
- Finely chopped onion-1medium size
- Finely chopped tomato-2num
- Tomato puree -1/2cup
- Ginger-garlic paste-2tsp
- Mint leaves-a handful
- Turmeric-a pinch
- Black cumin/cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Chopped coriander- a handful
- Capsicum-6medium size
- Oil-for brushing
- Low fat thick yogurt/hung curd-1/4cup
- Low fat grated mozzarella cheese-50gms
- Sat-1/4 tsp
- Olive slices
- Spring onion greens
For Tomato rice:
- Heat oil in the pan; add cumin seeds, whole garam masala (Clove and Cinnamon) saute for few seconds.
- Add onion, ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2-3 minutes/until onions are translucent.
- Then add tomato puree, mint, paprika,turmeric, salt mix well and fry for a minute.
- Add cooked rice, chopped tomato mix and simmer for 4-6minutes/until heated through.
- (I love tomato chunks in my rice so added it in later stage, can add along with puree and cook completely)
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle some chopped coriander.
Serve this rice alone with any yogurt dip.
- In a bowl combine yogurt/hung curd, salt, cheese and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 deg c.
- Wash and cut the tops off the bell peppers, remove the stems, seeds and brush the peppers with oil. Place in the oven safe dish and bake uncovered for 15-18 minutes
- When the peppers are ready, remove from the oven and fill with the rice then a tablespoon of yogurt mixture and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Once baked top it with olives and spring onion greens and enjoy.
- Sour cream can be used alternatively to yogurt.
Posted on August 28, 2014, in Indian, Main dish and tagged Capsicum recipes, Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Stuffed capsicum recipes, Stuffed vegetarian recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 36 Comments.