Capsicum, Broad beans with baby potatoes gravy
This recipe is a flavourful curry in tomato onion gravy with aroma of Indian spices resulting in a delightful and palatable experience to taste buds. I sauted bell peppers before adding to the gravy just for the crunchiness, it can also be cooked in the gravy and tomatoes can be sauted along with onions and Baby potatoes adds texture.
Better beans knows as fava, butter, Windsor, horse or even English beans. Adding just a handful of these beans provides a boost of protein, fiber, potassium and energy-providing B vitamins.
Preparation time- 30 minutes
Cooking time- 20 minutes
- Diced/chopped Bell peppers/capsicum-2 medium
- Baby potatoes – 8 – 10 (Small size)
- Diced onion-1 medium
- Frozen Broad beans-1 cup
- Chilli powder-1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/4 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Kasuri methi/dry fenugreek-1/2 tsp
- Oil-1 tsp+1 tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Cinnamon-1inch stick
- Chopped onion-1 medium
- Tomatoes -2 medium
- Ginger-1/2 inch
- Garlic-2 cloves
- Roasted Cashews-4-5 num
- Roasted Peanuts-a handful
- Fennel seeds/saunf-1 tsp
- Oil-1 tsp
- Heat water in a sauce pan and place a colander or a steamer add baby potatoes and cook for 12 – 15 minutes OR until potatoes are cooked
- Heat 1tsp oil add diced capsicum, drizzle some salt and shallow fry over medium flame until tender but still crunchy or for 3-4minutes. Transfer on to the plate and set aside.
- Now heat 1tsp oil in the same pan over medium flame, add chopped ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, onion and saute until its translucent. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool and blend it to smooth paste along with peanut and cashwes. (or you can even powder cashew, peanuts separately)
- Blanch tomatoes in hot water for 5 minutes peel the skin, chop and blend tomatoes to puree.
- Heat remaining 1tsp oil in the same pan over medium flame add in cumin seeds, as it splutter add bay leaf, cinnamon, clove saute for 10-15seconds.
- Add prepared onion paste stir fry paste for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in chilli powder, turmeric, and coriander powder mix well and continue to cook until the raw flavour goes off. (approx. 2-3minutes)
- Add crushed tomato puree cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Then add in broad beans, cubed onion and saute for 4-5 minutes/ until broad beans are tender.
- Then add in ½-3/4cup of water as per the desired consistency.
- Add capsicum, steamed baby potatoes, Salt, Kasoori methi and cook until capsicum blends well in the gravy. Stirring occasionally.
Serve hot with paratha/naan.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
- Fresh cream can be used for creamy texture/ even milk can be used instead of water while boiling.
- Paneer, Tofu, baby corn can be used as a variation.