Veggie Kebabs on tawa
Kebabs are one among favourite plethora of other Indian appetizers, which is simple and soothing to eat. Here I choosed sweet potatoes and vegetables. These kebabs were bit crunchy flavourful exterior with a soft, wonderfully textured inside that would make you fall in love instantly. A dash of garam masala spice and tasty peas kicks up the flavor and texture in these meatless patties.
Typically kebabs are deep fried and oily makes it high calorie dish. I think the base ingredients helped plus pan- frying only the tops in coconut oil.
This can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Yields: 8-10 kebabs
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes (per batch)
- Boiled Sweet potato-2medium
- Finely chopped onion-1small
- Finely chopped green beans-8-10
- Grated carrot-1medium
- Finely chopped cabbage-1/2cup
- Frozen peas-1/4cup
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
- Chaat masala-1/2tsp
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Grated ginger-1tsp
- Minced garlic-3cloves
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- 2tsp+for shallow frying
- In a mixing bowl mash the boiled sweet potatoes and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add fennel seeds, ginger, garlic and sauté for few seconds.
- Add onion and saute until translucent, add finely chopped/grated veggies (beans, carrot, cabbage) and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, chaat masala, salt, mashed sweet potatoes mix well until blends with the veggies.
- Turn off the flame and allow the mixture to cool a bit.
For the kebabs:
- Divide the mixture to 10-12 equal portions and roll them between your palms to make a long elongated kebab.
- Now heat a non-stick tawa/griddle and place the kebabs 3-4 at a time and cook all four sides on a medium low flame (each side take 2-3 minutes so approx.-10-12 minutes).
- Once cooked all over- serve hot with salads, dips.
- Spices and combination of veggies can be personalised as per the taste.
- Make sure to cook all sides for even cooking and on a medium low flame (I flattened each side and cooked). Cooking on a high flame cooks from outside and leaves the inner surface soft and uncooked.
- This can also be baked or deep fried.
- For baking cook in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes flipping halfway at 200deg C.