Rabdi is a traditional milk based dessert, milk is thickened by evaporating in low-flame and then sweetened by adding sugar. It is further flavoured with rose water OR Cardamom.
Here I used bread crumbs to thicken it instead of boiling the milk.
Preparation time-5 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Semi Skimmed Milk- 3 cups
- Grated pear-from 2 pears
- Honey/maple syrup-2-3 tbsp (adjust as per the taste)
- Bread slices-1
- Saffron strands-a generous pinch
- Ground Cardamom – 1/2 tsp
- Chopped nuts- a handful (Almonds, Pistachio)
- Trim the edges of the bread and crush it in the blender/processor.
- Boil milk in a thick bottomed pan on a medium flame.
- Once milk reaches its boiling point reduce the flame and simmer for 8-10 minutes, add bread crumbs, grated pear and continue to cook stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan until thickens.
- Add saffron strands, cardamom powder, chopped pistachio, almonds- give it a stir.
- Turn off the flame.
- Since I used semi skimmed milk used bread for thickening.
- Bread can be substituted with Milk powder.
- And if using full fat milk you can skip bread.
- If milk boiled for long to make it half then Bread can be skipped.
- Apple can also be used in place of Pear