Brown rice Apple Pudding
This pudding made with brown rice using low fat milk as a desert healthier for the whole family. Natural sweetener honey is used. To make it more delightful have used home made fresh Pear Jam.
Enjoy this creamy, thick, slightly sweet, and hearty rice pudding.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- Brown rice-1/4 cup
- Low fat milk-4 cups
- Maple syrup/fruit sugar-1/4 cup (can substitute with brown sugar)
- Chopped nuts-2-3 tbsp
- Vanilla essence-2 tsp
- Saffron strands-a generous pinch
- Grated Apple -1 cup
- Sunflower spread/ butter-1 tbsp
- Maple syrup/honey-2tbsp (can substitute with brown/white sugar)
- Chopped Pistachios
For Rice Pudding:
- Wash and soak brown rice for 4-5 hours.
- Drain water from soaked rice and grind it fine paste by adding few teaspoons of milk while grinding.
- In a small cup add a tablespoon of warm milk and soak the saffron strands.
- Bring milk to boil and simmer, add the ground mixture and stir every 3 minutes once on low flame. Make sure they don’t form lumps. Let it cook for 10-12 minutes on a low flame until the ground rice is cooked
- Add sweetener (maple syrup/fruit sugar/brown sugar), vanilla essence and soaked saffron strands with milk and continue to cook until the mixture thickens.
- Allow it to cool down.
- Add olive butter in the pan add grated apple and let it cook on low heat for about 5-8 minutes till they are soft.
- Once they are soft, add honey/maple syrup and mix well and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Once cooked, let it cool to room temperature.
- In a serving glass or bowl layer with 1-2 spoons of pear jam and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Then add the Rice pudding on top of already cooled pear jam.
- Cover it with cling film and refrigerate again for 2-3 hours.
- Garnish with chopped nuts or strawberries and serve chilled.
- For more creamy texture you can use full fat milk/condensed milk which may add few calories.
- Sweetness can per personalized as per the taste
- Here I used maple syrup as a sweetener- it can be substituted with honey/brown sugar/any sweetener of choice.
- If using honey –make sure not to heat it once added to the dish.
Posted on June 28, 2015, in Dessert, Indian, International, Sweets and tagged broken rice pudding, brown rice sweet recipe, festival sweets, fruit pudding, healthy pudding recipe, quick desserts, ramdan recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 14 Comments.