Oats, Mint and Chickpeas – Porridge
Whipping up a hearty bowl of creamy sweet oats topped with berries, banana, nuts, maple syrup or any sweet thing you fancy, is probably the most typical way to go. But truly, you can get much more out of this neutral tasting wholesome grain. Spanning the flavour combination to the savoury side of the spectrum is a great way to enjoy this classic, and probably among the oldest of all, breakfast food.
I used fresh mint for the flavour and chickpea to make it protein rich, however it can be adopted as per your taste.
This healthy oats & mint combination can be served for breakfast, who like spicy foods. It can also serve as a snack during evening or weekends.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Preparation time:10 minutes
Chopped onion – 1num
Green chillies -3 (adjust as per the spice)
Salt – as per taste.
Lemon juice-to taste
- Place mint, green chillies, few drops of lemon juice in a blender/food processor and whiz until crushed. Set aside.
- Wash and soak chickpeas
- Place the 2 ½ cup water along with onion, ginger, garlic in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add boiled chickpeas, cumin powder, crushed mint-chilli mixture, oats and continue to simmer for another 8-10 minutes /until the oats is creamy and mushy.
- Season with some salt, lemon juice and serve hot for a comforting breakfast.
- Alternatively instead of crushing mint and chillies it can be finely chopped.
- Canned chickpeas can also be used – just that it has to washed and rinsed thoroughly.
- Spice and taste can be personalized as per the
Posted on July 30, 2015, in Indian and tagged chickpeas - oats recipe, Healthy breakfast recipes, mint - oats porridge, oats breakfast recipes, oats recipes., porridge recipes, savoury porridge recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.