Three seed (sesame, flax and melon) rice
This is a simple rice with roasted and ground powder of three seeds. I used capsicum and peas here. This spice powder can be prepared ahead and stored in an airtight container and on busy days can be just mixed with rice without any tempering and delish.
Once they are ground, their fatty acids oil may go rancid; therefore, eating them soon after grinding is important.
This is great for packed lunch/ breakfast.
Sesame seeds offer a nutty yet delicate are packed with minerals – copper, magnesium and calcium – and tryptophan
Flaxseeds have a very high concentration of omega 3 fatty acids. These fatty acids are anti-inflammatory, important in bone health and a protector of the heart.
Watermelon include the prevention of kidney disorders, high blood pressure, the prevention of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, heat stroke, macular degeneration and impotence.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Soaking time: 1 hour
- Any Rice-2 cups (I used red rice)
- Chopped bell peppers-1 medium
- Frozen peas-1/2cup
- Salt- to taste
- Oil-2tsp (I used peanut oil)
- Asafoetida/hing- pinch
- Curry leaves-7-8
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
To grind or coarse powder:
- Sesame seeds-3 tbsp
- Flaxseeds-1 tbsp
- Watermelon/pumpkin seeds-3 tbsp
- Red chillies-1
- Pepper corns-4-5
- Cinnamon-1 inch stick
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Wash and soak rice for 30minutes-1 hour. After soaking time rinse and drain.
- Boil enough water in a large sauce pan add in soaked and drained rice, salt and cook for 18-20 minutes/until soft and fluffy. Once cooked spread on a broad dish using a fork and allow it to cool completely
- Meanwhile dry roast sesame seeds, red chillies, cumin seeds, pepper corns, clove, cinnmaon until golden brown (approx. 4-5minutes) on a medium –low flame. Allow it to cool and transfer the roasted mixture along with flaxseeds, melon seeds and grind it to a coarse powder and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add in mustard seeds, as it splutters, add hing/asafoetida, curry leaves, bell peppers and saute until they are tender.
- Add cooked and cooled rice mix well until combines and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- turn off the heat and finally add the ground powder mix well and let it sit covered for 4-5minutes.
- Serve with yogurt dips/raita.
- Pumpkin seeds/any melon seeds can be used alternatively to watermelon seeds.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.