Whole wheat Methi onion bread
I always wanted to try some spicy bread but for some reason I have always been nervous about how it would come out. Somehow made up my mind to try this. As a healthy option tried to make this with whole wheat, oats and little white flour. I kept it simple by adding onion and chillis for flavourings but you can customise as per your taste.
Quantity: 1 lb loaf and 4-5buns
Baking time: 25-30minutes
Preparation time: 20minutes
• Whole wheat flour-2cups
• Powdered oats -1cup
• Plain flour-1/2cup
• Olive oil-1tbsp
• Salt-as per taste
• Warm milk /warm water-1cup/ as required
For the masala:
• Finely chopped onion-1num
• Methi (fenugreek) leaves chopped-1/2cup
• Green chilli paste- 1tbsp
• Coriander leaves finely chopped-2-3tbsp
• Cumin seeds-1tsp
• Olive oil-1tbsp
• Flaxseed/sesame seeds-for topping
• Milk for brushing on top-1tsp
• In a bowl mix honey, yeast and warm water and let it stand for 10-15minutes or until its frothy.
• Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, onion, chilli paste, methi leaves and saute for 3-4minutes. (do not add salt in this step)
• In a bowl sieve add all the flours: wheat flour, powdered oats, plain flour, salt,oil and Masalas.
• Make well in the centre and add the yeast mixture and form a smooth dough by adding warm milk as required.
• Knead the dough for 8-10 mins, until the dough is soft and flexible (add in the flour if the dough is too sticky while kneading and milk water mixture if it hard to knead)-kneading is most important part of bread making and wetter dough is always preferable.
• Coat the mixing bowl with olive oil and swirl the ball of dough in it so it’s coated with oil on all sides. Wrap it with the cling film/ wet kitchen towel and let it sit in the warm place for 1 ½- 2hours/ until its doubled in volume
• Grease and line the 9inch loaf pan and a baking tray and set aside
• Once the dough is doubled in size take a knife and cut two halves for two medium loaves. Otherwise cut into ¾ and ¼ the portion to make a big loaf and 4-5 medium buns like I did
• Now again flour the surface and knead the dough for 5-7 minutes, this step is important to remove the bubbles formed
• Shape one portion into a loaf and place in the greased in the loaf pan (9inch).divide the other portion into 4-5portion and shape them into buns and place them on a baking tray with space in between
• Let them stand in the warm place again for 30-40minutes. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven at 180 deg
• Brush the top of the loaf and buns with milk very gently and sprinkle some flaxseeds over the nicely risen loaf and buns and bake them in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes
• Run the knife around the edges and slowly remove the bread from the pan and let it cool on the wire rack
• Adding milk is optional; you can add just warm water instead
• Brush the top of the loaf and buns with butter for the softer and shine crust
• You can use white flour instead of wheat flour for more soft texture