Stuffed capsicum in gravy (Baked or Cooked)
Capsicum helps in curing many diseases that include lowering blood pressure, reducing cholesterol and warding off strokes and heart attacks, speeding up metabolism, treating colds and fever, preventing cancer and pain control.
Capsicum is low in fat, calories and cholesterol. If you thought your diabetic diet was supposed to be boring, try spicing up your cuisine with capsaicin based products-like hot sauce or jalapeno peppers.
I have stuffed with potatoes; you can stuff with any vegetable, tofu, paneer, brown rice and create a delicious healthy meal option.
You can enjoy these stuffed toasted peppers as it is or dip it in the gravy and enjoy as a side dish.
Makes: 3-4 servings
Preparation time: 20-25mins
Baking time: 20-25mins
Cooking time: 20mins
• Capsicum- 8num
• Boiled and mashed potato- 4 medium sized
• Finely chopped onion-1/2cup
• Ginger garlic paste-1tsp
• Chilli powder-1tsp
• Cumin powder-1tsp
• Salt-as per taste
• Finely chopped coriander-2tbsp
• Chopped onion-1cup
• Chopped tomatoes-1cup
• Chopped ginger-1tsp
• Chopped garlic-1tbsp
• Chopped green chillies-1tbsp
• Cashew nuts-4-5num
• Garam masala-1tsp
• Chilli powder-1tsp
• Coriander powder-1/2tsp
• Salt- as per taste
• Cumin seeds-1/2tsp
• Corn flour-1tbsp( dissolved in 1/2cup milk)
• Heat oil in a pan; Add onion, ginger-garlic and saute for a minute / until the onions are translucent.
• Then add mashed potatoes and dry ingredients (Turmeric, Cumin powder, Chilli powder) mix well and cook for 3-4 mins and take off from the flame.
• Transfer to the bowl and set aside to cool down.
For the gravy:
• In a non stick pan add cashews, chopped onion, tomatoes ,chilli ,ginger, garlic and saute for 3-4minutes and set aside until it comes to room temperature.(No Oil used for roasting)
• As it cools blend it to the puree in the blender/mixer.
• Then heat oil; Add the blended puree and cook on a medium high flame for 5-7mins by stirring in between.
• Add dry ingredients (Garam masala, Turmeric, Coriander powder, Chilli powder) and cook till the oil separates from the gravy.
• Add corn flour mixture, salt and bring it to boil and set aside.
• Chop off the top of the capsicum, cut into two scoop and discard the seeds.
• Brush the capsicum with oil and do the potato stuffing.
Baking in the oven:
• Pre-heat the oven for 200 deg, grease and line the baking tray.
• Arrange the stuffed capsicum on the baking tray and bake for about 15mins or till the capsicum are cooked.
On the stove top:
• Heat 2tbsp oil in the non stick pan and arrange the stuffed capsicum, cover and cook on the medium high flame for 4-5minutes.
• Flip when the capsicum turns little brown and cook upside down for a couple of minutes.
• Make sure the stuffing mixture doesn’t get burnt. Flip and cook again for 2-3minutes, uncovered.
• When the capsicum is done then switch off the flame.
Just before serving arrange the capsicum on the serving dish, pour the hot gravy on top and serve with Rotis/Kulchas/ Naan/Parathas.
• If you do not want gravy then you can enjoy the baked/cooked stuffed capsicum as a side dish/ appetizer.
• Corn flour and milk is added instead of cream.
• You can add low fat cream instead of milk.