Whole wheat Bruschetta flat bread pizza
Bruschetta is a fresh, delicious Italian appetizer that can be prepared and enjoyed any time of the year. A wonderful mix of Italian flavours made healthy by homemade flat bread grilled with arugula rocket and tomato and cheese.
Arugula (rocket) health benefits:
Arugula, also known as the garden rocket, is a nutritious leafy vegetable. It is used in a variety of recipes that are spicy and pepper flavoured dishes. It is known for its good taste and is included in salads due to its aromatic flavour. The arugula leaves are also known to be a good source of essential Vitamins & minerals.
Baking time: 13-15mins
Preparation time: 20mins
• Whole wheat flour- 2cup
• Ground oats-1cup
• Plain flour-3tbsp
• Garlic powder-1tbsp
• Olive oil-2tbsp
• Salt-as per taste
• Warm water- 1 ½-2cups 9or as required to knead the flour)
• Olive oil-2tbsp
• Low fat cheese- 3-4tbsp (as required)
• Rocket- 1cup
• Tomatoes-2 (sliced)
• Black pepper-1/2tsp
• Dried herbs-1tsp (oregano, basil)
• In a small bowl dissolve yeast, honey in 100ml of luke warm water and stir well. Let the yeast sit got 5-10mins.
• In a large mixing bowl sift the flours, add garlic powder, olive oil, salt, yeast mixture and mix well until it forms crumbs. Slowly add in the water and mix until the soft dough is formed. Then knead for 7-8mins.
• Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl; cover with cling film and leave for 1 ½ to 2hrs or until the dough is doubled in size.
• Knock back the dough on the floured surface and knead again for 4-5mins.
• Roll the dough out to an even, flat oval approximately 6-8inches.
• Pre-heat the oven at 220deg c.
• Line a large baking tray with aluminium foil and coat lightly with olive oil.
• Transfer the rolled dough on the baking sheet and rest in the pre-heated oven for 10-15mins.
• Then remove from the oven and brush with olive oil, top with sliced tomatoes, cheese and bake for 10-12mins/ until the dough is puffed and golden and the cheese begins to bubble.
• Then again remove from oven and top evenly with rockets drizzle some olive oil, black pepper, dried herbs and bake for 3-4mins more, until the rockets are wilted and the base is brown in colour.