A dish made up of rice, tomatoes, garlic, cumin, onion, capsicum and other ingredients; Spiced with chilli powder. Sautéing the rice in a skillet until it is golden brown gives the traditional touch. It is similar to Spanish Rice with some variations.
Brown rice is used to make fibre rich diet food.
Cooking time: 35-40mins (including cooking time of rice)
Preparation time: 15mins
- Brown rice-1cup
- Vegetable broth/ water-2cups
- Chopped onion-1large
- Chopped capsicum-1num
- Chopped tomatoes-1cup
- Mixed vegtables-1cup (peas, carrot, corn, beans)
- Minced garlic-1tbsp
- Paprika/chilli powder-1tsp
- cumin seeds-1tsp
- salt- as per taste
- Coriander/green onions – a handful
- Soak brown rice at least for an hour before cooking, drain and set aside
- In a large saucepan bring broth/ water to boil add drained rice, salt and cook on a medium high flame for 15-18mins, stirring in-between (be careful not to burn rice)
- Once cooked spread on a plate and let it cool slightly
- Heat oil in pan add cumin seeds, garlic, onion saute for 2minutes.
- Add mixed vegetables, capsicum fry for a minute
- Add chilli powder, tomatoes and saute until the vegetables are tender and raw flavour of chilli powder leaves.
- Add cooked rice, salt mix well.
- Garnish with spring onion greens/coriander
- If you like more spicy you can add red chilli paste as well.
- You can enjoy this recipe by using white rice/ any rice of your choice
- Traditionally Mexican rice is cooked in vegetable broth but you can use water as well