Methi raw mango brown rice
This recipe is similar to the mango rice/mavinakayi chitranna which is rice based dish most commonly prepared in south india. Chitranna/yellow rice is prepared by initial seasoning followed by sauting of onion and grated raw mango scrapes. Here the variation is I have used brown rice to add the fiber to the dish and fenugreek/methi leaves.
Because of its bitter taste many prefer to avoid eating fenugreek so add fresh leaves to food like dals, rice, curries and parathas to consume it healthy.
Raw green mango:
Green mango is full of vitamin c, and they are great for warding off anemia and for increasing the integrity of blood vessels. It is good for the liver helping to increase the secretion of bile acids and cleans the intestines of bacterial infections.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes (excluding cooking time of rice)
- Brown rice-1cup
- Raw grated mango-1/2-3/4cup
- Chopped onion-2num
- Washed and chopped methi/fenugreek leaves-1bunch
- Green chilli paste-2tsp
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Channa dal/ Bengal gram-2tsp
- Urad dal/split black gram dal-2tsp
- Salt-as per taste
- Curry leaves-4-5
- Cilantro-few springs
- Grated coconut-2-3tbsp
- (Wash and Soak rice for 1hour and cook for 15-20mins. once cooked spread on a plate and speperate the grains using the fork and let it cool completely)
- Peel and grate the mangoes
- Heat oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves as it splutters add green chilli,channa, urad dal, peanuts and saute on a medium heat for 2-3minutes until the peanuts are roasted
- Then add onion, fenugreek leaves saute until onions are translucent
- Add salt, turmeric, give it a toss
- add grated mango mix well until well combined with the spices just saute for few seconds or a minute. (as mangoes don’t really need to cook them. Turn off the flame
- Finally add cooked rice and gently mix until combined
- Garnish with cilantro and fresh grated coconut
- If the mango is more tangy reduce the quantity if it is not tangy can add upto 1cup
- You can skip methi and add just mango for mango rice
- You can even use white rice instead of brown rice
Posted on June 26, 2014, in Indian, Main dish and tagged Brown rice recipes, Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Healthy yellow rice, Methi rice, Raw mango recipe. Bookmark the permalink. 9 Comments.