Vegan – Masala chai/tea
Masala chai is a flavoured tea beverage made by brewing black tea with a mixture of aromatic Indian spices and herbs. A blend of black tea, spices, milk, sugar also known as “chai”. This drink hails from India. Amny variation exists and the spices can be added according to the taste.
In india it’s made using regular milk here I tried to use almond milk to make it vegan friendly.
I started exploring many Vegan recipes as I was impressed from my blogger friend Charanya of Yes I’m Vegan.
Preparation time: 5mins
Cooking time: 20mins
- Almond milk-2cups
- Cardamom pods-2
- Cinaamon stick-1inch
- Fresh grated ginger-1inch
- Crushed black pepper-1/8tsp
- Water-1cup (if you don’t like strong tinge in your tea increase quantity of water)
- Tea powder-2-3tbsp (you can even use tea bags 4-5)
- Agave nectar-as per the sweetness
- In a mortar and pestle lightly crush cardamom, clove and cinnamon.
- Add water in a pot add crushed cardamom, clove, cinnamon, ginger and crushed black pepper. Bring the mixture to boil, then simmer for 4-5minutes. Remove from heat and let it stand for 5 more minutes.
- Add the almond milk to the pan and turn on the flame and bring it to boil again.
- As it boils simmer for 2-3minutes, turn off the flame and let it stand for 2-3minutes.
- Use a fine sieve and strain. Add honey as per the sweetness required mix and transfer to serving cups.
- You can use regular milk as well
- Honey can be used in place of Agave Nectar
I am bringing this to Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck
Posted on July 8, 2014, in Juices/Beverages, Vegan and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Healthy Masala chai, Healthy masala tea, Vegan Chai recipes, Vegan hot drinks, Vegan tea recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 28 Comments.