Quinoa fried rice stuffed tomatoes (Dairy Free)
This Dairy free recipe contains Ripe juicy tomatoes are hollowed out and filled with quinoa stir fried veggies. Quinoa is sauted with stir fried veggies and sauces; Stuffing can be personalised as per the taste.
Tomatoes act as an excellent source of the strong antioxidant, vitamin C, potassium and choline content in the tomatoes all support heart health.
Fried rice using quinoa instead of rice as its high in protein and fantastic wheat-free alternative. Quinoa is a tiny grain that cooks up like rice and has nutty flavour and light, fluffy, texture similar to couscous.
This makes a fantastic vegetarian main course as it is stuffed with quinoa.
Preparation time: 10minutes
Cooking time: 25minutes
- Large tomatoes-6num
- Chopped onion-1num
- Chopped carrots-1num
- Chopped spring onion greens-1/2cup
- Chopped bell peppers-1num
- Frozen peas-1/2cup
- Minced garlic -2tsp
- Grated ginger-1tsp
- Olive oil-1tbsp+ for brushing tomatoes
- Soya sauce-2tbsp
- Chilli sauce-1tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg c. line the baking tray grease and set aside.
- Slice off 1/2inch of the stem end of the tomatoes – scrape off the seeds and inner pulp using spoon.
- Slice just a small section off the bottom of the tomatoes so that they will sit flat on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle salt in the hollow portion of each tomatoes and place hollow side uo on the baking sheet and set aside.
For quinoa fried rice:
- Rinse quinoa a few times in cold water.
- Combine quinoa, salt with 2cups of water and bring to boil in a medium saucepan, and then simmer for 15-20minutes until quinoa is fluffy and cooked through. Remove from heat and let set for five minutes.
- Cool completely by spreading on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over high heat. Add onion, carrots, capsicum, and cook for 1-2minutes.
- Add spring onion greens, peas, garlic, ginger and saute for 2-3minutes.
- Add in cooked and cooled quinoa stir fry for few more minutes.
- Add soya, chilli sauce and stir fry until incorporated
- Once warmed through turn off the flame.
- Evenly divide the quinoa fried rice among the tomatoes, drizzle some olive oil and bake for 20-25minutes or until the tomatoes are slightly softened
- If you ok with dairy sprinkle some cheese instead of olive oil.
- Quinoa stuffing can be personalised as per the taste.
- Stuffed tomatoes can be cooked on stove top as well:
- After the stuffing is done-grease a non-stick pan with some oil and place stuffed tomatoes with stuffed top facing up cover and cook on a medium high flame for 8-10minutes/until tender and soft.