Spinach walnut dip/chutney
Generally Chutney/Dip sauce ingredients are sauted in vegetable oil and ground in the blenders/food processors. They are added to meals for flavour.
Palak/spinach chutney is an awesome dip with unique taste. In this recipe spinach and spices are sauted in oil and blend to a sauce with walnuts and lemon juice. Using walnut is a variation in this dip, traditionally fresh coconut is used but using walnut adds nutty taste to the sauce.
Relish this with idli/dosa/steamed rice.
Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 10mins
- Spinach blanched -250 gms
- Crushed walnut-1/2cup
- Chopped Green chilli-2num
- Chopped Garlic- 2cloves
- Lemon juice-2tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Heat oil in the pan add cumin seeds, green chillies, garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add spinach and saute until the water evaporates (approx. 2-3minutes) and allow it to cool.
- Place sauted mixture, walnuts, salt, lime juice in the food processor and pulse several times until coarsely crushed. Scrape sides of the processor from time to time. Process continuously until it is smooth.
Serve with dosa/idli /chapathi/rice.
- You can replace walnut with grated fresh/ desiccated coconut.
- Peanuts can also be used.