Jalfrezi with Roasted onion and vegetables
Jalfrezi is a medium spiced stir fried dish with peppers, green chillies, onions, herbs and tomato-based sauce. Here in this recipe beans, carrot, baby corn, peppers, peas are sauted in roasted onion tomato sauce with spices. Roasted onion is the variation I tried and it adds roasted flavour to your curry.
However different combo of vegetables and paneer can be used.
Enjoy this curry with Rice/Naan/Pooris (Recipe for Baked Pooris please click here).
Preparation time: 10minutes
Cooking time: 30-40minutes
- Thinly sliced onion-1cup for roasting
- Sliced onion-1number
- Baby corn-12-15num (cut into 4 lengthwise)
- Sliced pepper/capsicum-1num
- Sliced carrots-1num
- Sliced tomatoes-1num
- Frozen peas-1/2cup
- Sliced French beans-1/2cup
- Tomato-2num (for puree)
- Ginger-garlic paste-2tsp
- Green chilli-2 (slit lengthwise) (can skip chillies if you don’t like much spice in your gravy)
- Red chilli powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Vinegar/lime juice-to taste
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil-2tsp +for roasting onions
- Thinly sliced spring onion greens/ chopped coriander
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg C, line the baking tray and set aside.
- In a bowl toss onion with 1-2tsp oil transfer to the baking tray and toast for 15-20minutes/ until slightly browned (slicing thin helps to toast faster)
- Add the oil coated sliced onion in a non-stick pan and roast on a medium flame until browned by stirring In between (approx. 10-12minutes)
- Once cooled blend roasted onions along with tomatoes to smooth puree and set aside.
- Heat oil in the pan add onion, slit green chillies (if using), ginger-garlic paste and saute for 1-2minututes.
- Add ground tomato-onion puree with dry masalas (red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder) mix well and let it cook on a low flame till for 3-4minutes stirring in between.
- Now add carrot, beans, baby corn and saute for another 4-5minutes
- Then add capsicum/bell peppers, peas, tomatoes, salt, 2-3tbsp water if required and cook until the capsicums are tender and cooked.
- Once all the vegetables are cooked and coated well, turn off the flame and sprinkle some vinegar/lime juice mix well.
- Garnish with coriander/spring onion greens .
Serve hot with naan/paratha/Pooris
- Vegetables and spices can personalise as per the taste.
- If you don’t like the roasted flavour can just use it without roasting