Oats and Red rice flakes/Poha – Granola
Healthy homemade granola can be a healthy, comforting and delicious treat. Combining oats, red rice flakes, agave nectar/honey, nuts, seeds is undoubtedly nutritious and healthy breakfast option.
Here as a variation I used red rice flake. Red rice flakes are made from a red rice. It is more common to find the flakes (poha) made of white rice. Rice flakes has an earthy flavor, chewy texture and light rose in color. Healthy alternative to white rice flakes, having a high nutritional contents.
So enjoy this granola as a healthy breakfast with any whip, yogurt, fresh fruits (link)
Yields: 4-6 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
- Rolled oats-1 1/2cup
- Paper thin red rice flakes/Poha/Beaten rice -1/2 cup
- Raw seeds-2-3tbsp (pumpkin or sunflower seeds)
- Roughly chopped nuts-1/4cup
- Dried cranberries/cherries-50gms
- Vanilla extract-1/2tsp
- Maple syrup/agave nectar-2-3tbsp
- Peanut oil/any healthy cooking oil-1tbsp
- Salt-a pinch
- Pre-heat the oven at 150deg F, line the baking tray with baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl mix well and toss to coat. (it will be bit sticky and messy )
- Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated oven for 12-15minutes/until very lightly toasted.
- Cool before serving or before storing.
- Once cooled this granola can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for 1-2weeks.
- Nuts and sweet can be varied a per taste
- Red rice flaks adds crunchiness to Granola
Posted on August 30, 2014, in Appetizers, Breakfast, Breakfast, Indian, International, Kids recipes and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Granola recipe, Healthy Granola recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 12 Comments.
I love homemade granola, never thought of using flakes in it, red rice is delicious and I have never seen red rice flakes but maybe the health food store has, This is perfect with your pineapple whip and fruit,
Thanks Suzanne…So glad to recieve such supporting and motivating feedback…You can find flakes @ Indian stores near you…
Adding poha to granola s awesome dear:-)
Thanx dear, even I was not sure about the outcome dear as ţhis was my first try for granola but for my surprise poha added crispy bites to granola and so here it is…thanx a bunch dear…..
Great idea Chitra to combine both oats and poha… Yummy 🙂
Yes Malar – It was crunchy too…added benefits of Oats and Red rice..My daughter loved it, which is a bonus for me
Thanx Apsara. …:)
Homemade granola is the best!
Thanx dear for your lovely words…….you made my day…..💜
Pingback: Baked Healthy Mixture | Traditionally Modern Food