Cornflakes and biscuit banana custard pie
Banana pudding pie is own version using corn flakes of that retro sweet favourite. The digestive biscuit and corn flakes are crumbled and made into crust, which is topped with homemade custard. Baked and topped with bananas and nuts.
Enjoy this delicious baked banana custard dessert
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
- Single cream-300ml
- Honey-3-4tbsp (or more if required)
- Vanilla essence-2tsp
- Corn starch/corn flour-2tbsp
For the crumb crust:
- Digestive Biscuits -10 (crumbled in food processor)
- Corn flakes-1/2cup (powdered in food processor)
- Vegetable fat-2tbsp
- Ripe Bananas-2 (sliced about ¼” thick)
- Coarsely chopped nuts-a handful
- Lemon juice- for brushing
- Dissolve corn starch with 2-3table spoon of milk and set aside.
- Place cream, honey in a sauce pan and bring it to boil.
- Reduce the flame to low add corn flour mixture, vanilla essence and simmer until the mixture thicken stirring continuously. (make sure not to increase the flame and continuous stirring is required)
- Once the mixture thickens take off the flame and cool it completely.
For the crust:
- Combine biscuit crumbs, powdered corn flour and vegetable fat in a bowl, mix well.
- Grease a pie/tart pan press the crumb mixture to about ¼” thickness, being sure to cover bottom and sides of pan.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg c.
- Pour the cooled custard mixture on top of the crumb layer and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20minutes/ until the custard is slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool completely/ refrigerated for an hour
- Once cooled arrange the sliced bananas on top of the custard
- Brush lemon juice on to the slices, sprinkle some nuts.
- Topping can be personalised
- Can use readymade custard mix as a variation