ZERO Oil – Roasted eggplant onion gravy
This recipe have used whole onion along with eggplant and roasted both before adding it to the gravy. This is a super simple and delicious recipe in tangy tomato puree with the nutty taste of peanuts, sesame and flaxseeds. This dish can be enjoyed with Rotis/Chapathis/ Flavoured rice.
The process of roasting brings out the natural sweetness in vegetables and intensifies their natural flavors.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes
Baking time-30 minutes
- Baby eggplant/aubergine-5
- Onions-4 medium
- Salt- as per taste
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Chopped coriander- a handful
- Sesame seeds-1tbsp
- Chopped tomato-2medium
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg C, line the baking tray and set aside.
- In a pan roast peanuts on a low flame until slightly golden, then add flaxseed, sesame seeds saute just for a minute, turn off the flame and allow it to cool a bit.
- Then blend it to fine puree along with chopped tomatoes and set aside (add some water if required while blending)
For baking eggplant and onions:
- Slit each eggplant and onion three quarter of the way into 4halves and place on the lined baking tray. (can brush eggplants and onion with some oil if desired, I tried to avoid )
- Bake for 20-25minutes/until soft and tender.
- Transfer the ground puree to a non- stick pan and cook for 1-2minutes stirring continuously.
- Then add chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, 1cup water mix well and continue to cook on a low flame until it comes to boil (approx.8-10minutes)
- Once it comes to boil and thickens a bit add baked/roasted eggplant and onion and simmer for 3-5minutes/until the aubergine and onion blends well in the gravy.
- Can continue to simmer few more minutes for thicker consistency or turn off the flame as the roasted onion, eggplants are heated through and coated well with gravy.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot with chapathis (link), rotis (link) or any flavoured rice (link)
- Roasting of eggplant and onion can also be done in the pan by just drizzling some oil and shallow fry both onion and eggplant until tender and soft.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.