Roasted brown lentils capsicum bulgur
This rice recipe is very simple prepared in a way similar to south indian flavoured rice dishes. Simple yet flavourful and healthy, roasted brown lentils, spices and curry leaves provides a delightful and palatable experience to the taste buds. I used bulgur rice in this recipe.
Roasted lentil powder provides valuable nutrients for both conventional and vegetarian nutrition. Lentils contain high quality plant protein. When combined with a grain source protein in lentils and grain complements each other to reach a more complete protein with higher bioavailability. Adding roasted lentil flour compensates for lysine deficiency in other grains and improves overall protein quality.
The fiber portion in roasted lentil flour leads to a low glycemic response and better glucose management.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- Chopped capsicum-1cup (approx. 3)
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Bulgur -2cups
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Curry leaves-4-5
- Salt- as per taste
- Lemon/lime juice-as per taste
- Brown lentils-2tbsp
- Whole garam maslas-(clove-4, cinnamon-1inch stick, star anise-1)
- Bay leaf-1
- Saunf/fennel seeds-1tsp
- Pepper corns-6-7
- Red chillies- as per the spic palate (I used 4 dry red chillies)
- Curry leaves-10-15 leaves
- Dry coconut flakes/desiccated coconut-1/4cup
- Rinse and soak bulgur for 20-30minutes, after soaking time drain and rinse again and set aside.
- In a non-stick/thick bottomed pan dry roast brown lentils, whole garam masala, fennel seeds, pepper corns, red chillies for 2-3minutes/until fragrant and slightly browned, add coconut, curry leaves just heat for 45seconds-1minutes and take off the flame.
- Allow the mixture to cool and blend to fine powder in a blender/food processor and set aside.
- Now heat oil in the same pan add mustard seeds as it splutters, add onion, curry leaves and saute for 1-2minutes.
- Add capsicum and saute for another 1-2minutes, then add drained bulgur rice and fry for 2-3minutes.
- Add 31/2cups of water, salt mix well and cook on a medium-high flame for 10-12minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 12minutes, add the ground powder mix well and continue to simmer for another 4-5minutes/until heated through and water evaporates completely.
- As the rice is cooked turn off the flame and drizzle some lime juice, mix well.
Serve hot with yogurt/yogurt dip or any side dish.
- Soaking bulgur helps to cook faster.
- Can include any vegetables of choice as a variation.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
- Alternatively white rice/brown rice can be used with the same procedure