Beet, Soya, Spinach and lentil soup
This is a hearty, flavourful soup of root vegetable, spinach and lentils, which is perfect for chilly fall nights.
Beetroot and spinach are a healthy addition to any eating plan. The study results do show that increased dietary nitrite, from beetroot or spinach consumption, can have quite an immediate effect. Beetroot lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. It contains phosphorus, sodium, magnesium, calcium, iron and potassium, as well as fiber, vitamins A and C, niacin and biotin. Beets contain folic acid, which is recommended for pregnant women.
Eating a cup of raw beetroot can work as magic for people with high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
Preparation time- 25-30 minutes (including the cooking time of lentils)
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Beet-4medium sized
- Blanched spinach-1cup
- Yellow lentil-1/2cup
- Soya bean-1/4cup
- Chopped onion-1medium size
- Salt- as per taste
- Crushed black pepper-1tsp/ as per taste
- Vegetable stock/water-3cups
- Wash and chop beetroots and steam it until tender for about 12-15minutes, once steamed allow it to cool a bit.
- Rinse and soak soya bean overnight, drain after the soaking time.
- Wash and rinse yellow lentils.
- combine drained soya bean, yellow lentils, chopped onion, garlic in pressure cooker with enough water say about 2-3cups and pressure cook for 3-4whistles.
- Meanwhile place steamed beet, blanched spinach in the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Now as the pressure subsides slightly mash lentils using the back side of the spatula/potato masher.
- In a non-stick pan add ground beet and spinach puree and cooked yellow lentils, soya beans and cook on a low flame for 4-5minutes.
- Then add vegetable stock/water, salt and bring it to boil by simmering for 8-10minutes, stirring in between.
- Once it comes to boil turn off the flame, sprinkle some crushed pepper.
- Alternatively vaccum packed cooked beets can be used.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.