Beet, Soya, Spinach and lentil soup
This is a hearty, flavourful soup of root vegetable, spinach and lentils, which is perfect for chilly fall nights.
Beetroot and spinach are a healthy addition to any eating plan. The study results do show that increased dietary nitrite, from beetroot or spinach consumption, can have quite an immediate effect. Beetroot lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. It contains phosphorus, sodium, magnesium, calcium, iron and potassium, as well as fiber, vitamins A and C, niacin and biotin. Beets contain folic acid, which is recommended for pregnant women.
Eating a cup of raw beetroot can work as magic for people with high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
Preparation time- 25-30 minutes (including the cooking time of lentils)
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Beet-4medium sized
- Blanched spinach-1cup
- Yellow lentil-1/2cup
- Soya bean-1/4cup
- Chopped onion-1medium size
- Salt- as per taste
- Crushed black pepper-1tsp/ as per taste
- Vegetable stock/water-3cups
- Wash and chop beetroots and steam it until tender for about 12-15minutes, once steamed allow it to cool a bit.
- Rinse and soak soya bean overnight, drain after the soaking time.
- Wash and rinse yellow lentils.
- combine drained soya bean, yellow lentils, chopped onion, garlic in pressure cooker with enough water say about 2-3cups and pressure cook for 3-4whistles.
- Meanwhile place steamed beet, blanched spinach in the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Now as the pressure subsides slightly mash lentils using the back side of the spatula/potato masher.
- In a non-stick pan add ground beet and spinach puree and cooked yellow lentils, soya beans and cook on a low flame for 4-5minutes.
- Then add vegetable stock/water, salt and bring it to boil by simmering for 8-10minutes, stirring in between.
- Once it comes to boil turn off the flame, sprinkle some crushed pepper.
- Alternatively vaccum packed cooked beets can be used.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
Posted on September 11, 2014, in International, Soups, Salad and Wraps. Bookmark the permalink. 20 Comments.
Thick soup with vibrant color and protein packed !!! super cool 🙂
Thanx Malar… 🙂
Such a power packed soup doc
Thanx Sonal…. 🙂
I want a chilly fall night so I can make this soup. YUM!
I second you Suzanne. .. thanx a ton…. have a fab weekend Suzanne. .
Vibrant color is attracting me a lot:-) healthy soup dear
Thanx dear as always for your lovely words…
I want to eat this right now!
Wish I could pass it over Murmoor. .. thanx a ton… 🙂
Great to know the health benefits of beetroot… Thank you for all the info Chitra 🙂 TC! keep smiling 🙂
Thanks Sindhu nice to know you liked the info presented..
LikeLiked by 1 person
Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.
I just copied this down for my husband, we love Indian foods. This sounds wonderful. ❤
Thanx Jackie for your visit and lovely feedback. .. glad to know your husband loves indian foods… feels good… 🙂 ❤
My husband made this dish and we both loved it! In fact, he just left to go buy more lentils (we eat a LOT of lentils). I cannot eat many things like dairy, oils, sugars and such so the number one thing for me with this recipe is there was nothing I had to adapt, it was perfect. Chitra, thank you for this great dish! ❤ ❤
Jackie – If possible will post more recipes on Vegan, Zero oil and Sugar free recipes…I am very happy for your support and kind words on my blog
LikeLiked by 1 person
Don’t change your recipes for me, I have gotten pretty good about adapting recipes for myself. I can’t have dairy – milk, yogurt, cheeses – but for some reason there are a few cheeses I can eat like cottage cheese, some mozzarellas (not all brands), Hollumi and a few others. To create a substitute for mayonnaise I pureed cottage cheese and added a small amount of either lemon juice or red vinegar. My husband and I like occasional ketchup so we created our own version without any corn syrup. ( Even small amounts of corn syrup created massive amounts of mucus in my lungs.)
Your recipes are wonderful and I like your blog so you keep doing whatever it is you do! Thank you, you are so sweet! ❤
Thanks Jackie…I can feel the amount of planning while exploring alternative food recipes…Am honoured to share few recipes,which meets your requirements…
LikeLiked by 1 person