Baked Mushroom Manchurian
In this recipe mushrooms are coated in a batter baked and then sauted in a sweet and tangy sauce. Usually they are deep fried but I opted to bake them. They turned out beautifully with nice crunchy outer crust and soft inside.
I retained this as a dry version as I was serving this as a starter with fried rice. However it can also be made to gravy /semi-gravy version by adding some stock/liquid in the sauce.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15-20 minutes
- Button mushrooms-200gms (cleaned and sliced)
- Chopped bell pepper-1
- Spring onion white-1/2cup
- Spring onion greens-1/4cup +garnishing
- Minced ginger-2tsp
- Minced garlic-2tsp
- Ground black pepper-1/2tsp
- Soya sauce-1tsp
- Tomato sauce-2tbsp
- Red/green chilli sauce-1/2tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Corn starch/flour-1tsp (dissolved in 2-3tbsp of water)
For the batter:
- Corn starch-2-3tbsp
- Rice flour-1tbsp
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp
- Oil-for brushing
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned except oil in a bowl and form a batter of thick butter milk consistency by adding water.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg, line the baking tray and set aside.
- Rinse, wipe and halve the mushrooms.
- Coat the mushrooms in the batter and arrange them on a lined baking tray (make sure not to overlap) and bake for 18-20minutes. Toss the mushrooms once in the middle while baking.
Meanwhile make the sauce:
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and add spring onions whites, minced ginger-garlic and fry for 2-3minutes/until onions are translucent.
- Now add bell peppers and saute for 2-3minutes /until tender and crunchy.
- Then add soy sauce, tomato sauce, chilli sauce and vinegar mix well.
- Add salt, corn flour mixture and bring the sauce to a quick boil.
- Add baked mushrooms, ground pepper, salt if required, and give a toss until the mushrooms are coated well.
- Once coated and heated through, turn off the flame.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with the spring onion greens, give it a quick mix and serve hot.
- Once sauted in sauce it has to be served immediately or it goes soggy.
Spices and sauce can be altered as per the taste
I am bringing this recipe to Angie’s Fiesta Friday #35