Malai Kofta – Baked potato curry (Cream free) – Vegan
Malai kofta is a vegetarian dumpling soaked in gravy to serve as a side dish. This version is with soft potato balls baked instead of deep fried and the gravy is neither bland nor spicy combining of tomato-onion puree and almond-cashew paste for the creamy texture of the gravy .however cream can be included.
Used almonds in more quantity and reduced cashew as almonds are less in fat compared to cashew, I included the skin of the almonds as it add nutrition to the dish so it can be blanched if required.
Kofta curry is best served with tandoori naan, kulchas, jeer rice or even tastes good with plain steamed rice.
Yields: 3-4s ervings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 25-30 minutes
- Boiled and mashed russet potatoes-1cup
- Brown bread crumbs-1/4cup
- Finely chopped onion-1number
- Crushed nuts-2tbsp (optional)
- Ginger-garlic paste-2tsp
- Chilli powder/minced green chillies-1/2tsp
- Corn starch/corn flour-2tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- for greasing
- Onion paste-1/2cup
- Tomato puree-1cup
- Almonds-1/4cup +1tbsp cashews (soaked for 1-2hours and ground to smooth paste)
- Minced ginger-2tsp
- Minced garlic-1tbsp
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1/2tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Salt- to taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg C, line and grease the baking tray and set aside.
- Combine mashed potato, onion, chilli paste, ginger-garlic paste, salt, bread crumbs, chopped coriander, corn starch, crushed nuts and mix well.
- Divide the mixture to equal size balls and arrange all the koftas on the lined baking sheet brush some oil and bake for 25-30minutes/ until they turn slightly brown-(flipping halfway)
Meanwhile prepare gravy:
- Heat oil in a pan add bay leaf, cinnamon, clove and fry for 20-30seconds
- Add onion paste, ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2-3minutes/until the raw aroma goes away.
- Add the tomato puree and saute for few more minutes.
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masla powder and almond-cashew paste stir and saute till the gravy thickens and starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add water if the gravy is too thick as per the required consistency and simmer for 8-10minutes on a low flame stirring continuously.
- Finally add honey, salt and mix well.
- Add baked koftas to the gravy and mix gently and cook on a slow flame for 1-2minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve immediately.
- For onion past- blend 2medium sized onion in the blender.
- For tomato puree-3medium tomatoes in the blender
- For almond-cashew paste- soak almond and cashew in the warm water for 1-2hours and blend it to smooth paste.
- Alternatively cashew paste alone/even include cream for rich and creamy texture.