Spinach plantain pastry from parathas
Spinach plantain and cheese pastry is made by stuffing the frozen parathas with sauted spinach plantain filling topped with cheese. I used plantain as a variation and its taste was similar to potatoes. Here I used white sauce for the moist filling and this made me reduce the cheese quantity. I used less oil to to saute and grated low fat cheese. The white sauce is made with low fat milk and whole wheat flour to make this cream free.
This is great for evening snack and as a party appetizers.
Preparation time-20 minutes
Baking time-20-25 minutes
Waiting time-1-2 hours (for defrosting)
- Chopped spinach-1bunch
- Chopped raw plantain-1
- Chopped onion-2medium
- Minced ginger-1/2tsp
- Minced garlic-1tsp
- White pasta sauce-1/2cup (link)
- Ground black pepper-1/2tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Olive oil-2tsp
- Low fat mozzarella cheese-50gms
- Frozen whole wheat paratha-4 (thawed)
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and add in olive oil, minced ginger, garlic, onions and saute for 2-3minutes.
- Then add in chopped plantain and saute until tender(~4-6minutes)
- Add in white sauce, spinach and cook on a low flame for 3-4minutes more.
- Finally add in salt, ground pepper and stir until well combined.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg.
- Line baking tray with baking sheet. Remove thawed paratha from the wrap and transfer two on to the floured surface and scoop 3-4tablespoon / more of filling into the middle of each paratha leaving a 1/2inch border on all sides, drizzle some cheese.
- Unwrap the other two parathas and place on the filled parathas, seal the borders using fork .
- Brush the top of the paratha with milk and bake for 25-30minutes/until puffed and golden.(baking time may vary from oven to oven so keep an eye while baking)
- Can substitute fresh spinach to frozen and parathas to puff pastry sheets.
- Spices can be altered as per taste
- The plantain taste was similar to potato in this dish so can replace plantain to potatoes if desired.
- I used homemade white sauce, you can use any sauce of your choice.
- White sauce can be substituted with crumbled tofu/cottage cheese.