Beet carrot burfi with dates molasses
Two roots in one Carrot and Beetroot with a nutty taste of coconut. Sugar free with a hearty dates molasses. A flavoursome burfi presenting as part of Navaratri
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-35-45 minutes
- Grated beetroot-4medium
- Grated carrot-2
- Desiccated coconut-1/2cup
- Dates molasses- 1/2cup
- Low fat Milk-1cup
- Cardamom powder-1/2tsp
- Almond flakes-2tbsp
- Chopped pista-2tbsp
- Unsalted Olive spread/butter-2tbsp+for greasing
- Place milk in a thick bottomed pan and let it boil on a low flame for 10-15minutes. (this step is to slightly thicken the milk or alternatively can substitute with whole milk)
- Heat the olive spread/butter in other pan add in grated beetroot, carrot and saute for 6-8minutes/until it get a bit dry.
- Now add in the boiled milk and keep stirring till beetroot, carrot gets cooked well.
- As the mixture thicken add dates molasses, coconut and mix well.
- Continue to cook on a medium high flame with continuous stirring.
- Once the moisture out from the mixture and starts to thicken. Add in cardamom powder and turn off the flame.
- Grease a 6x6inch/any tray and transfer the mixture and using the back of the spatula spread evenly and top with almonds and pistachios.
- Once it comes to room temperature, put the tray in the fridge and let it set for 2-3hours to cut into pieces or just enjoy as halwa before setting
- Carrot is optional, just beetroot alone can be used.
- Milk and dates molasses can be substituted with condensed milk for the richness.
- Sweet taste can be altered as per the sweet tooth.