Jalapenos sundried tomatoes corn bread: (eggless and GF)
This corn bread is eggless and gluten free which is moist, tender and flavoured with little pieces of sundried tomatoes, jalapenos and spring onions. You can certainly use vegetables of your choice and cheese. This is savoured bread which can be served with soup or smothered with guacamole.
I served this with white bean chilli soup (link)
Yields: 6-8 servings
Preparation time: 15minutes
Baking time: 20-25minutes
- Fine yellow corn meal-1 1/2cup
- Low fat butter milk-1- 1 1/2cup
- Baking powder-2tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Chopped spring onion greens and white-1cup
- Low-fat grated cheese-1/2cup
- Sliced jalopenose-1
- Sun-dried tomatoes -3-4 (sliced)
- Olive oil-1 tbsp+ greasing
- Sliced jalapenos
- Sliced olives
- Sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg C, grease a baking dish with oil and keep aside.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients-corn meal, salt, baking powder.
- In a medium bowl whisk together buttermilk, honey, oil, vinegar and set aside.
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry and mix together using large wooden spoon or a firm spatula.
- Fold in spring onion green, white, jalapenos, sun-dried tomatoes, cheese.
- Pour into the greased baking pan and top it with sliced jalapenos, sun-dried tomatoes, olives.
- bake for 20-25minutes/ until the knife/tooth pick inserted comes out clean. (baking time will vary depending on the moisture and the oven) so just keep cooking until it passes the toothpick test.
- Let the cornbread cool for at least 30minutes-1hour. As the bread is still cooking from residual heat/ cut into wedges and serve.
- Toppings are optional.
- Sweet corn/ bell peppers can be included for variation.
I am bringing this recipe to Angie’s Fiesta Friday #36