Roasted bell pepper and tomato dip/chutney
This dip is a delicious, aromatic with roasted pepper and tomato, packed with flavour and so simple to make. The roasting of the pepper and tomatoes brings out best in them and the flavour is simply addictive.
Tomatoes might well be nature’s perfect food. They’re fat-free, low in sodium, and have been shown to lower cholesterol. Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A and calcium. Finally, tomatoes also contain phenylalanine, an essential amino acid important in the functions of the kidneys and bladder.
Bell Peppers are also rich in vitamin C and vitamin A, two powerful antioxidants that neutralize the free radicals that damage our cells, lead to clogged arteries, and play a role in many other diseases. Bell Peppers are also a good source of fiber, which can help lower cholesterol and reduce our risk of heart disease.
Yield s: 3/4-1cup
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Large red bell pepper-1 ½
- Tomatoes- 3-4medium
- Desiccated coconut-1/4cup
- Red chillies-2-3 (or as spice desired)
- Crushed garlic-3cloves
- Salt- to taste
- Black pepper corns-5
- Fresh green herbs-a handful (coriander/parsley)
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg C. line the baking tray and keep aside.
- cut tomatoes and bell peppers in half, slit red chillies,drizzle some olive oil, salt, black pepper corns, garlic cloves . arrange them on a lined baking tray.
- bake for 25-30minutes or until the skin of pepper is roasted.
- Once roasted allow it to cool a bit and then remove the blackened skin of tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Once the skin is removed combine pulp of tomatoes, peppers, garlic, pepper corns, fresh herbs, red chillies with a tablespoon of olive oil in the food processore/blender and process until smooth.
Serve immediately or can store in the refrigerator for 3-4days.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.