Spaghetti in Tomato – Walnut Sauce with Kala Channa
This Spaghetti recipe resembles brown chickpeas rice, which is a blend of coconut spices and pepper. As a fusion recipe have used Walnut in place of Cocunut and soya-vinegar sauces.
A protein rich, delectable brown chickpeas spaghetti in tomato walnut sauce. I soaked garlic and green chillies in vinegar and then blend it with tomato and walnut in a food processor.
The tomato-walnut sauce is a earthy and hearty this is a go-to sauce for spaghetti, as a filling for vegan lasagna, or spooned over steamed veggies. The walnuts give a significant boost of healthy fats, oils and protein, while lending a “meatiness” and flavour that is unsurpassed. Then we have walnuts, also rich in anti-oxidants with a healthy dose of melatonin (helps regulate sleep), B-vitamins, vitamin E variety, which is excellent for cardio-vascular health)
Served with Brocollo-Cauliflower Manuchurian (For Recipe click link).
Yields: 3-4 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Brown spaghetti- 400gms
- Olive oil-1tablespoon
- Sliced bell peppers/capsicum-2medium (I used red and green)
- Cooked brown chickpeas-1cup (if using canned rinse thoroughly)
- Soy sauce-2tsp
- Salt- to taste
For the sauce:
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped garlic-3cloves
- Green chillies-3 (alternatively pepper corns/ chilli flakes can be used)
- Boil the spaghetti till al dente according to the instructions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Soak chilli and garlic in vinegar for 30minutes.
- Blanch tomatoes for 5-8minutes in hot water and peel the skin.
- Combine blanched tomatoes, soaked garlic, chillies with vinegar, onion, walnuts in the food processor/blender and process until smooth and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil add in bell peppers saute until tender.
- Then add in tomato-walnut sauce and cook atleast for 8-10minutes on a medium low flame stirring in between.
- Now add in soy sauce, salt , cooked chickpeas mix well and continue to cook for 2-3minutes more.
- Then add in cooked and drained spaghetti and simmer until coated with sauce and heated through.
- I used green chilli for the spice, alternatively black peppers corns or chilli flakes can be used.