Basil and Vegetable- Thai fried rice
This is a delicious, healthier and easy recipe. I used bell peppers, carrots, baby corn, onion and red curry paste and basil in this recipe. Adding basil makes the rice flavour full.
If you are planning for a tempting Thai lunch or dinner, then Thai fried rice is a must have item in it.
Health benefits of basil:
Basil (known as tulsi in Hindi) has been used for centuries in Ayurveda, a traditional Indian system of medicine, as a treatment for gastric, hepatic, respiratory and inflammatory disorders as well as a remedy for headache, fever, anxiety, convulsions, nausea and hypertension.
This dish is great for breakfast/lunch or packed lunch.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Red rice- 2cups (alternatively jasmine/thai rice can be used)
- Washed and chopped Thai basil leaves- 1/2cup tightly packed +for garnish
- Sliced red onions-1medium
- Sliced bell peppers -1cup (red/yellow/green can be used or any colour of choice)
- Sliced carrots-1medium
- Halved baby corn -1/2cup
- Dark soy sauce-1tbsp
- Red curry paste-2-3tbsp (or as spice preferred) (link)
- Peanut oil-1tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Crushed roasted peanuts-2-3tbsp
- Rinse and soak red rice for 20-30minutes. After soaking time rinse again and drain.
- Boil water in a large pot, add in soaked and drained rice, salt and cook on a medium flame until soft and fluffy, once cooked drain and spread on a broad dish/ plate to cool.
- Heat oil in a kadai add in red curry paste and saute for few seconds.
- Now add in sliced onions, bell peppers and carrots, baby corn and stir fry for 3-4minutes or until the veggeies are tender but crunchy.
- Now add in soy sauce, honey , salt and saute for a minute/until the veggies are well coated.
- Now add in the cooked cooled rice mix well and cook on a low flame for 3-4minutes or until heated thorugh.
- Then add in basil and mix well. turn off the flame and garnish with roasted peanuts and basil.
Serve hot with curry.
- Usually Jasmine rice/ thai rice is used in thai dishes but I used brown rice/red rice as a high fiber option.
- I used homemade red curry paste, alternatively store bought can be used.
- Spice can be personalised as per the taste.
I am bringing this recipe to Angie’s FF#41