Thai mushroom, spinach green curry
As per wiki thai cuisine has variety of curry but green curry as the name says its just derived from the colour of the dish. Here the curry paste is the blend of green chilli and spices.
Mushroom, spinach, chickpeas green curry is very easy to make. It is a curry made with coconut milk and homemade curry paste with the blend of fresh spices. This curry is nutritious, tastes great either with any rice or it can even be served as a soup.
Mushrooms are advised to eat to get full range of nutritional benefits from fruit and veg. they contain virtually no fat, sugar or salt and are a valuable source of dietary fibre as well as rich in vitamins. Spinach is loaded with nutrients such as iron, niacin, beta-carotene. Chickpeas are high in protein and have low glycemic index, its consumption keep you feeling full which helps to consume fewer calories.
Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 20mins
- Cleaned and chopped Mushrooms-500gms
- Chopped spinach-1bunch
- Chickpeas cooked-1cup/200gms (if its canned wash and rinse thoroughly)
- Coconut milk-1tin
- Chopped basil leaves-a handful
For curry paste:
- Chopped onion-1num
- Green chilli-3-4num
- Coriander-a handful
- Ground cumin-1/2tsp
- Ground coriander seeds-1/2tsp
- Tomato paste-1tbsp
- Lemon zest-2tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Brown sugar-1/2tsp (optional)
- Lemon juice-1tsp
- Lemon zest and chopped coriander
- Combine onion, garlic, ginger, green chilli, fresh coriander, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, salt, sugar, lemon zest and lime juice in a blender and blend it to the smooth paste.
- Heat oil in the pan and add ground paste, curry paste, and cook it on a low flame for 5-8minutes.
- Add coconut milk and cook for 2-3minutes then add mushrooms, spinach, basil leaves and bring it to boil.
- Add chickpeas, reduce the flame and simmer for about 10-12minutes/ until the mushrooms are cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle some lemon zest and coriander.
Serve hot with rice, noodles
- Green chilli can be replaced by red curry paste.
- Traditionally thai currys are made using lemon grass due to unavailability have used zest. You can use lemon grass if available.
- Store bought curry paste can be used which makes the dish more easier but homemade can be varied as per taste and is healthy with no any preservatives