Savoury bread – Semolina with chives and parsley
It is a light tasting savory cake; the inside tastes like vegetable Upma/Rava Idli but with lightly crusted outside. As an added bonus, it is healthy, low fat and guilt free snack too. Good one to snack on as is or as an accompaniment with afternoon tea/coffee.
The process of making this is simple and straight forward. It is versatile too and you can substitute any vegetable or herbs of choice instead of the ones that I have listed like bell peppers, onion, parsley, chives etc.
Parsley promotes optimal health, good source of folic acid, good source of Vitamin A & C.
Chives helps to fight against Cancer, They enable good sleep, Increases memory .
Preparation time-10 minutes
Baking time-30-35 minutes
- Fine semolina-1cup
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped bell peppers-1medium (I used red colour)
- Chopped parsley-a handful
- Chopped chilli-1
- Turmeric- 1/4tsp
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Water-1/2-3/4 (as required for the batter)
- Salt- to taste
- Oil-2tbsp+ for greasing
- Pre-heat the oven at 180deg C and oil a medium loaf tin.
- In a bowl combine Semolina, baking soda, turmeric, salt stir in chopped bell peppers, onion, parsley, chilli.
- Add yogurt,oil, water and mix to make a thick cake batter consistency (adjust the seasoning as per the taste)
- Pour the batter to the prepared tin and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-35minutes or until the tooth pick inserted comes out clear. Let it cool in the tin.
Serve warm or cold with coffee or chilli sauce/ketchup
- Spices and vegetables can be personalised as per the taste.
- Baking time may vary from oven to oven so keep an eye and bake until the tooth pick inserted comes out clear.
I am bringing this recipe to Angies FF#43