Spiced Orange Saffron warm drink
When it’s cold and dark outside there is nothing better than to curl up on the sofa with a steaming hot drink to warm you from inside out. If you’re feeling virtuous this spicy drink is as good without alcohol. Perfect for those evenings with your loved ones. Catch over a cup of intensely citrusy drink with spiced aroma.
Saffron is a popular spice and an expensive one too. It has long been used in traditional medicine around the world, and modern scientific study suggests that saffron could also have a role to play in fighting disease. The active constituents in saffron could help alleviate gastric problems, heart disease, insulin resistance, depression, premenstrual syndrome, insomnia and anxiety. Eating saffron also appears to help vision by retarding the degeneration of the retina that occurs with age.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Orange Juice – 1 ½ cup (Freshly squeezed preferred)
- Water- ½ cup
- Cinnamon stick-1
- Star anise-1
- Cloves – 3
- Saffron strands-generous pinch
- Maple syrup-as sweet desired
- Lemon juice-2-3tbsp
- Soak saffron in 2 tbsp hot water and keep aside for 10-15 minutes
- Combine water, star anise, cinnamon stick, Cloves in a saucepan and simmer for 10-15 minutes on a medium high heat.
- Turn off the flame and then add in lemon juice, maple syrup, and soaked saffron stir well
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours/until chill and enjoy cold.
- Honey/agave nectar/sugar can be used alternatively to maple syrup.
Click to visit the next post in Virtual Vegan Potluck
Click to visit the previous post in Virtual Vegan Potluck
Click to visit the home page of Virtual Vegan Potluck