No-knead whole wheat pizza
Homemade pizza has to be one of the most-requested meals at our house. It’s a crowd-pleaser, and making this treat at home is definitely more frugal than ordering from the local pizzeria.
I know the title says ‘no knead’ and it is…almost! You don’t need a fancy mixer to make this dough and you don’t need to pound it for an hour either. All you need to do is play with it for about 1 minute and prodding a lump of dough really doesn’t count as kneading in my book, therefore I stand by what I said – this dough is no-knead!
After my No-knead bread (link) I wanted to try pizza and this crust is crispy and really easy.
Yields- 1 Medium pizza
Preparation time-10 minutes
Fermenting time-16-18 hours
Baking time-15 minutes
- Whole wheat flour-2cups
- Dry active yeast-1tbsp
- Sea salt-1tsp
- Luke warm water-1cup
- Olive oil-1tbsp
- Pizza sauce-as required to spread
- Basil leaves-10
- Cherry tomatoes-4-6
- Chopped bell peppers-1 medium
- Dried herbs, salt, chilli flakes- as per taste
- Low fat Feta cheese
- Mix the flour, yeast, salt, honey together in a bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour the water and olive oil in the centre and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes together.
- Cover with the cling film/plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for at least 10-12 hours or if time permits even longer (the long it sits, the better the taste- I rested for 18 hours)
- After the resting time of the dough when you are ready to cook the dough, pre-heat the oven at 220 deg C and place the pizza tray in the oven while pre-heating.
- Meanwhile transfer the dough on to the floured surface and shape the dough until proper stiff dough is formed. It should be smooth on the outside and elastic in centre.
- Then shape it into round/as desired shape and place it on the greased and floured baking sheet.
- Top pizza with desired toppings- my topping on this pizza was- spread some pizza sauce, top it with sliced bell peppers, feta cheese, basil, cherry tomatoes, chives and season with some Italian herbs, salt and allow the dough to rest while oven pre-heats.
- Transfer the pizza dough from the baking sheet to the hot pizza tray/stone in the oven carefully by sliding.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottom is crisp and top is melted and done.
- Toppings can be personalised as per choice.
- The dough will be sticky so after resting time dusting some flour and making it stiff is important to shape the base and so only then the dough required some kneading and if your dough is stiff enough to shape the base then kneading is not required.
I am bringing this to Angie’s Fiesta Friday #45