It is a dish originating in Asia consisting of vegetables braised in a spiced sauce made with yogurt, cream, nut or seed paste. I used a blend of nuts and seeds with Coconut milk.
How does a warm and creamy squash curry sound to you right now? Good, right?! This vegan curry is made with rich coconut milk and infused with enough spices to make your tongue tingle. It’s the kind of dish that makes you look forward to dinner all day long. This is a hearty and vegan dish. Perfect for a chilly winter afternoon/night.
It’s worth going to the trouble of toasting and grinding your own spices, I think. The aromas and flavors of freshly-ground spices really punch up the whole dish
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-30 minutes
- Diced onion-1medium
- Chopped garlic-2cloves
- Chopped ginger-1 “
- Butternut squash diced-1 medium
- Diced bell peppers-1medium
- Cooked/canned white beans-1cup (if using canned rinse and drain thoroughly)
- Low-fat Coconut milk-1can
- Salt- to taste
For Kurma masala:
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped green chillies-3 (or as spice desired)
- Coriander seeds-1tsp
- Fennel seeds-2tsp
- Cinnamon-1 “stick
- Anise- 2petals
- Cashew nuts-5-6
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast the coriander seeds, fennel seeds,cashew, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, anise petals for 2-3minutes.
- Once cool, grind toasted spices along with onion, chillies in a blender/processor until thick paste is formed (by adding some water if desired while grinding)
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the squash into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, Add onion, garlic, ginger and saute until translucent.
- Add ground spice paste, turmeric and saute for 2-3minutes or to release fragrance.
- Add diced squash, bell peppers, water, salt bring it to boil and cook on a medium heat for 12-15 minutes.
- Now add cooked chickpeas, coconut milk and cook for few more minutes until the curry reaches the desired consistency, cover with a lid and take off the heat, garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve hot with steaming Parathas/Kulchas/Chapathi/Puri.
- Spices and vegetable combinations can per personalised as per the taste.