Whole wheat Naan
Whole wheat naan making it at home takes pretty short time. Enjoy them super fresh and season how you want makes it more tastier. Using whole wheat flour makes the naan a little bit chewier than normal but also makes it so much softer and guilt free.
Yields: 4-6 medium size
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Waiting time: 1 ½-2 hours
Cooking time: 15 minutes (approx. 3 mins per naan)
- Whole wheat flour-1 1/2cup
- Natural yogurt-1/2cup
- Warm water-1/4-1/2cup
- Garlic powder-2tsp
- Olive oil-1tbsp+for brushing
- Finely chopped coriander-a handful for garnishing
- Combine 1/4 cup warm water, honey in a bowl- sprinkle yeast leave it on the counter for 10-15minutes/until the mixture is frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, garlic powder mix well.
- Add yogurt, 1 tbsp olive oil, yeast mixture and mix well and then if required add little at a time about a spoon full of warm water and mix until it comes together into a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to the floured surface and knead for 4-5 minutes.
- Then place the dough in a greased bowl wrap and let it set for 1 ½-2 hours/until it doubles in size.
- Once doubled punch the dough and divide to equal balls (depending on whether large or smaller Naans)
- Roll each portion slightly oblong shape on a floured surface using a rolling pin about 5-6 inches.
- Over a medium high heat, heat a skillet, place the naan on the hot skillet and cook for a minute, until you see bubbles starting to form. (it might puff up little but slightly darkened spots is the indicator)
- Flip and brush some oil and cook again for 1-2minutes on the other side. Sprinkle with cilantro/parsley
Serve hot with Capsicum stuffed Tofu in tomato gravy
- Plain flour / 50:50 can be used alternatively to whole wheat flour.
- Naan can be enjoyed as pizza (Naanizza) with your favourtite toppings (Recipe link)