Naanizza with Spinach Pesto (Pizza on Naan) – Cook or Bake
My earlier post Kulchizza (For recipe Click here) received very good feedback made me explore this version.
Here have used homemade Naan using whole wheat for a healthy variation. It tastes delicious with your favourite toppings. Using spinach pesto as a pizza sauce adds goodness of greens. Enjoy with your favourite toppings.
Baking time: 8-10 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Whole wheat flour-1 1/2cup
- Natural yogurt-1/2cup
- Warm water-1/4-1/2cup
- Garlic powder-2tsp
- Olive oil-1tbsp+for brushing
- Sun dried tomatoes-4-5
- Grated mozzarella cheese-to sprinkle
- Low fat Mozzarella cheese- 100gms
For spinach pesto:
- Fresh baby spinach-100 gms
- Basil paste-2-3tbsp (alternatively can use fresh basil)
- Toasted almonds-a handful
- Walnuts-a handful
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil-2-3tbsp
- Combine 1/4cup warm water, honey in a bowl- sprinkle yeast leave it on the counter for 10-15 minutes/until the mixture is frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, garlic powder mix well.
- Add yogurt, 1tbsp olive oil, yeast mixture and mix well and then if required add little at a time about a spoon full of warm water and mix until it comes together into a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to the floured surface and knead for 4-5 minutes.
- Then place the dough in a greased bowl wrap and let it set for 1 ½-2 hours/until it doubles in size.
- Once doubled punch the dough and divide to equal balls (depending on whether large or smaller Naans)
- Roll each portion slightly oblong shape on a floured surface using a rolling pin about 5-6inches.
For the pesto:
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor until well blended.
To assemble the pizza:
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg c, line and grease the baking tray with baking sheets.
- Arrange Naan breads on the baking sheet, spread about 3-4tablespoons of pesto on each.
- Scatter sundried tomatoes on top; Then sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the Naan until mozzarella cheese has melted, about 8-10minutes.
- Remove the Naan pizza from the oven and enjoy.
- Toppings can be personalised as per the taste.
- Naan pizza can also be cooked on skillet. Just after cooking one side of the Naan flip and top with sauce, toppings, cheese on the cooked side. Cover with lid and cook on low flame until the other side is cooked and cheese is melted. Cooking on low flame helps to cook evenly.
- Store bought ready Naan can also be used.