Steamed beetroot with dill (Zero oil)
Here in this recipe I have tried to combine two unusual ingredients, beet and dill. The beet are just steamed and cooked in gravy along with the russian cousin dill weed was perfect, mellowing out that herb’s customary pungency and beets earthy flavour.
Preparation time-20 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes
- Beetroot-4-5medium (peeled and chopped)
- Finely Chopped dil leaves-1/2cup
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Garam masala-1tsp
- Any milk of choice-1/2cup (I used semi-skimmed)
- Salt- to taste
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Green chillies-2-3 (or as spice preferred)
- Ginger-1/2inch (chopped)
- Garlic-3cloves (chopped)
- Chopped tomato-1medium
- Almonds and pista-10 (almon-5 and pista-5)
- Combine onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, chillies, almond, pista in a food processor/blender and whizz to paste.
- Boil water in a large pot and place chopped beetroot in a colander/steamer mesh and steam until tender.
- In a large saucepan add in the ground paste and cook on a medium-low flame for 3-4minutes.
- Now add in chopped dill leaves, steamed beet, salt,cumin powder, garam masala and saute for 3-4minutes.
- Then add in milk and simmer for 5 more minutes/reaches the desired consistency.
Serve this as a side dish to three seed rice (Recipe link)
- Alternatively beet can be cooked in gravy/in microwave instead of steaming
- I chopped my beet big chunks but so took more time to steam cook so suggest to chop smaller chunks