Celery & Red lentil soup
This is a simple and fuss free soup with celery, red lentils, onion, garlic, chives. Unlike other lentils, red lentils do not need to be soaked and they are good source of fiber, protein, starchy, carbohydrate and vitamin B.
This soup can be enjoyed as it is or if desired can add in some cheese/cream / coconut milk for creaminess. this can be served with crusty bread or over brown rice.
Celery is an excellent source of vitamins.
Munching on a stalk of celery is helpful in two ways: its roughness helps scrub bacteria from the back of the tongue and its natural fibres assist in cleaning the teeth. It’s like using an edible toothbrush.
With loads of analgesic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic compounds, as well as some calcium blockers, celery seed extracts seem appropriate for treating bladder infections.
Preparation time-15 minutes
- Chopped Celery-500gms
- Dry red lendits/masoor dal-1cup
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Cherry tomatoes-10
- Snipped chives-3-4tablespoon
- Garlic cloves-3
- Paprika/chilli powder-1tsp
- Ground black pepper-to taste
- Salt- to taste
- Olive oil-1table spoon
- Wash thoroughly and drain red lentils, set aside
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and saute for 1-2minutes.
- Then add in washed and drained lentils iinto the pan and pour in 3cups of water/vegetable stock. Bring to the boil.
- Add in chopped celery, garlic and bring back to the boil, then cover and simmer for about 20-30minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Puree the soup mixture either in a blender/food processor (or hand held blender can also be used).
- After blending pour the puree into the pan, add in cherry tomatoes, salt, paprika and reheat the soup and bring to boil again.
- Remove from heat stir in some chives, season with some ground black pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with some chives and serve.
- Cheese/cream/c oconut milk can be used if desired
- Spices can be personalised