Chole in Tomato-Walnut gravy
In this curry the chickpeas beans is cooked in tomato walnut gravy with fragrant Indian spices and garlic. The curry leaves a mild fragrance when drizzled with lemon juice and served with steamed Rice/Naan/Roti.
The presence of high levels of soluble fibre makes them beneficial in reducing cholesterol and blood sugar levels in humans. Loaded with nutrients, they are used in various cuisines and are a key ingredient served cold in salads or hot in delicious curries.
Yields: 3-4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Cooked chickpeas-2 cups (alternatively canned can be sued- rinsed and washed thoroughly)
- Finely chopped onion-2 medium
- Shahi jeera/cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves-1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder-1 tsp
- Salt-as per taste
- Low-fat milk-1/2 cup
- Lemon/lime juice-to taste
- Oil-1 tsp
- Walnuts-a handful
- Red chillies-3-4
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
- Cinnamon-1” stick
- Star anise-2 petals
- Chopped coriander
- Dry roast walnut, red chillies, fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, ginger, garlic in a pan for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant and allow it to cool a bit.
- Now boil water in a sauce pan and blanch tomatoes for 4-5 minutes. Allow it cool and once it cools a bit peel the skin of tomatoes.
- Now place peeled tomatoes along with roasted ingredients in a food processor/blender and pulse to smooth puree by adding some water if desired.
For the curry:
- Heat oil in a sauce pan add shahi jeera/cumin seeds, bay leaf, kasuri methi sauté for few seconds/until fragrant.
- Add chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Now add ground puree and cook for 5-8 minutes or until slightly thickens.
- Add dry spices-turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder mix well.
- Add milk and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked chickpeas, salt and simmer until coated well with the sauce(adjust the consistency by adding extra water/milk as desired)
Serve hot with Whole wheat Naan
- To cook chickpeas- wash and soak chickpeas 6-8 hours or whole night and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.