Onion Lacha Paratha
Paratha is one of the most interesting dish not just to eat but to make as well 🙂 The bread has beautiful, delicate layers when ripped open, but it is very plain but here I used onion for the layers onion pancakes are a savory treat. It’s basically a circle shaped dough that contains chopped up green onions. Usually the dough has a few layers. Home made paratha are fresh are a lot doughier and have all the pretty layers.
So enjoy this layered bread with any curry of choice. I served them with bread Koftas.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Resting time-30 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Whole wheat flour- 1 1/2cup
- Finely chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped fresh coriander/cilantro- a handful
- Olive spread-2-3tbsp
- Dry wheat flour-for dusting
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, salt and water gradually, a little at a time until it comes together and then knead until a smooth dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to the greased bowl wrap with the cling film/kitchen towel and set aside for 30 minutes (or more if time permits)
- After resting time punch down the dough and knead again for a minute or so and divide into 4-5equal portions. Shape each to a round ball.
- Now take each portion of the dough balls and roll to a circle of 6-7 inch circle and as thin as you can get without tearing.
- Now brush some olive spread on the rolled dough, evenly dust some flour and now sprinkle some finely chopped onion, coriander leaving the sides and now start pleating holding the right and left ends of the rolled dough (pleat resembling a saree pleat/japanes hand fan)
- Once you come to the end of the dough it resembles a rope and now stretch a bit, twist and roll it into a spiral like a snail. And seal the other end underneath.
- Slightly press the dough and start rolling again to 4-5 inch diameter circle.
- Heat a tava/griddle and cook the rolled paratha dough for a minute or so/ until golden brown spots appear- flip and cook on the other side.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
Serve hot with Chole in Tomato and Walnut Gravy
- Whole wheat flour can be substituted with plain flour.
- Roll it as thin as possible and fold as number of pleats as possible.
- Olive spread can be replaced with butter/ghee-brushing with spread helps to make the paratha flakey.