Capsicum curry: (Zero oil)
About: This is a colourful curry where colourful capsicums/bell peppers and red onions are cooked in peanut-tomato sauce. The nutty flavour of peanuts and flaxseed blends well with the tangy taste of tomatoes and crunchy bites of capsicums. Yields-4-5 servings Preparation time-15 minutes Cooking time-20 minutes Ingredients:
- Capsicum/bell peppers-2green and 1red (cut into big chunks)
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Salt- to taste
For the gravy:
- Roughly chopped onion-1 large
- Tomatoes-3 medium
- Ginger-1/2 inch
- Garlic-3 pods
- Red chillies-2
- Saunf/ fennel seeds-1 tsp
- Roasted peanuts-1/4 cup
- Chopped coriander-a handful
- Blanch tomatoes for 4-5 minutes- peel the skin and allow it to cool a bit.
- Combine peanuts, fennel seeds, ginger, garlic, red chillies in a food processor/blender and blend to course – to this add balanced and peeled tomatoes, onion and whizz again to smooth puree by adding some water.
- In a non-stick pan add ground puree and saute until it thickens a bit.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, water as per consistency desired and saute until the raw flavour goes off say about 2-3 minutes
- Then add capsicum, salt and saute until they are tender and crunchy.
- Adjust the spices, salt and consistency as per the taste and simmer until the gravy reaches the desired consistency
- Then turn off the flame, garnish with chopped coriander/cilantro
- Spices can be varied as per the taste.
- Tried to avoid oil in gravy can used 1-2 tsp if required.
- If you feel peanuts may add calorie can alternatively use almonds/ just use tomatoes.