Basil Carrot-French beans – Stir Fry Rice
The really great things about this recipe are that it is very quick and easy to make, you don’t have to have a wok to prepare it and it is a great way of using up leftover rice. As a matter of fact leftover rice is what you want for stir fry rice.
This fried rice fresh and aromatic with the addition of fresh basil.
Basil with its distinct aroma and leafy good looks, this plant is one of the most widely known and grown herbs in the world. Fragrant fresh basil, for instance, offers a healthy dose of blood-clotting vitamin K — 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil provide 27% of the RDA — as well as vitamin A, manganese, and magnesium.
Preparation time- 20 minutes (including cooking time of rice)
Cooking time-15 minutes
- Brown rice-1cup (washed and drained)
- Grated carrot-1cup
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped French beans-1/2cup
- Cauliflower- 100gms about 3/4cup (chopped to medium florets
- Roughly chopped fresh basil- 1/2cup
- Green chillies-2-3 (slit)
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Kalonji/Nigella/Black seeds- 1tsp
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan , add wash and drained rice, 1/4tsp salt and cook for 15minutes/ until the rice is fluffy and cooked.
- Once cooked drain and allow it to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds, kalonji, green chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Now add onion saute until translucent.
- Add beans, cauliflower, carrot, sprinkle some salt and cook vegetables until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Once vegetables are cooked add chilli powder, chopped basil leaves and stir well and saute for a minute or two.
- Finally add the cooked rice and toss the rice gently over vegetables, cover the pan and simmer the rice with the vegetables for few minutes and turn off the heat, so the rice gets all the flavours from the kadai vegetables masala.
Once done serve hot with Roasted peanut and cucumber Raita
- As a variation peas/corn can also be included.
- You can use Mint in place of Basil